1. It’s flat and built for activity. This is extremely helpful for pushing strollers if you’d like to bring children along, and is lower impact on the body for walking and running than alternative surfaces. If you’ve given birth recently you will appreciate the lower impact surface on muscle recovery!
2. No cars, intersections, hazards or interruptions. Although a good trail or neighborhood run can be restorative, worrying about road crossings and cars can slow you down and create a less safe environment for exercise.
3. Easy to track distance and progress. The majority of tracks were built with marks on every straightaway and curve to help you judge distance, making it easy to keep track of how far you’ve gone. If you’re looking to improve your speed, timing yourself on each lap is a great place to start.
4. Never too far away from the starting point. Depending on how large the track is, most laps can be completed in a matter of minutes. When you (or your child) are ready to call it day, or if you experience any discomfort, or the weather takes a turn, it’s easy to make a quick exit back to the car or home.
5. Family friendly. If the whole family wants to exercise, it’s easy to keep an eye on everyone while allowing people to go at their own pace. This can be much more difficult in a neighborhood or outdoor park.
6. Room for workout partners/strollers. Most tracks are wide allowing multiple people and/or strollers to walk and run side by side. Sidewalks and outdoor trails are often narrow, making it unsafe to take up more than one lane.
7. It’s free. Save the money you’d spend buying a treadmill or joining a gym. Most public school tracks are free to residents as long as there are not sporting events taking place.
The information contained in this article is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of your physician or licensed health care provider. You should consult your physician or licensed health care provider before engaging in any exercise activity described in this article to determine if it is right for your needs.